January 7, 2011

The Book Idea: Water for Elephants


I just finished Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants today. It was an amazing read, worthy of the 6 hours I spent on it. The book is about a 90- (or 93-) year-old man who reminisces about his time working as a vet for the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. Sara Gruen's writing style is spectacular and gripping, employing numerous words foreign to me (such as bowdlerize, which means to remove material that is considered improper or offensive).

Max's and my original plan was to read this book at the same time, but nothing ever goes according to plan, right? Anyway, I told him he would love this book (there are, after all, three sex scenes in it...)

I would also strongly advise everyone out there to read this book as well. It's superb. The average 4.5 star rating from 2,121 users of Amazon agree. And they're making a new movie as well (even though they're starring Robert Pattinson as the main character). Take a little time out of your hectic life and read this now before there are over 200 hold requests at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment